Please stay tuned for more information about our new second grade teacher, Michele Gibson.
2nd Grade Overview
- In Science, students are encouraged to explore the word around them with inquiring minds. Students are able to observe the life cycle first hand when we hatch chicks. They witness matter change its’ state before their eyes when studying physics and investigate the minerals around them while learning about geology.
- Students develop life-long study skills in second grade. They are able to keep their binder organized, take responsibility for their assignments and take care of their personal belongings.
- Second grade students choose and memorize a 20+ line poem for our primary speech program. These public speaking skills are practiced throughout the year.
- In Second Grade, our stewardship theme is Caring for God’s Creation. Students raise money to donate to the Woodland Park Zoo for endangered tigers. The children also contribute daily lunch scraps to our compost bin to feed the pigs on Fairbank’s Farm.
- Second grade is an important year in Faith. Children prepare academically and spiritually for First Reconciliation and First Communion. A large part of this preparation is practicing daily conversation and reflection with God.
2nd Grade Standards
- Develops concept of belonging & forgiveness
- Learns new prayers: Act of Contrition and Morning Offerings
- Develops understanding of God as our Father, Jesus as God’s greatest gift to us & that the Holy Spirit is God
- Studies the sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist & Reconciliation
- Students begin to learn more about the parts of the Mass as they prepare the All Saints’ Day Mass. Each student will also complete a project researching a Saint.
- Students will strengthen their reading comprehension and accuracy by reading frequently and interacting with the text
- They question what they read and determine it’s importance
- Students make predictions or inferences
- They can summarize and retell
- Students write in complete sentences
- Students spell at least 30 frequently used words correctly- using weekly spelling rules for support
- Use mental math for single-digit addition and subtraction problems
- Add using regrouping
- Apply addition and subtraction concepts and strategies
- Use critical thinking and strategies to solve 2/3 step story problems
- Demonstrate an understanding of place value – to 1,000
- Compute three-digit addition and subtraction problems
- Model fractions – understand the vocab and visual representations
- Tells time to the nearest five minute
- Leave second grade strong number sense and problem solving strategies
- Observes/ participates in science experiences
- Studies Physics (force and motion), Geology (rocks and minerals) and Life Cycles
- Develops awareness of the scientific process
- Awareness of relationships of humans on earth
- Students become more aware of their role and responsibilities in their community
- Create and utilize maps
- Discusses how our choices effect others
- Practice teamwork skills and group work
Guess What :)
We are excited to be raising money to make a donation to Heifer International this Lenten season. 2nd grade is working to raise $120 to purchase a pig. The students are confident we will reach this goal. If we do, we are hoping to earn $360 to purchase a pig, sheep and goat. Here is a link to see what Heifer International is all about!
Free Valentine Ideas
Here are some fun ideas for Valentine’s this year. They are free to download! 🙂
100th Day Mystery Bag
Another fun activity to celebrate our 100th Day will be the 100th Day Mystery Bags! Students will get a paper bag tomorrow to bring home and fill with 100 of a given item. They will need to make sure all 100 of their chosen item will fit inside their paper bag and are school appropriate. Some examples are paper clips, Legos, pennies, bouncy balls, etc.
There is a piece of paper attached to their paper bag. They will need to write 3 clues for guessing what their item is. They will read their clues for the class and students will make guesses about what they think the chosen item may be.
Mystery bags need to be brought back to school, no later than Wednesday February 12th for the 100th day of school.
100th Day Snack
The 100th Day of Second Grade is coming up next week! To help us celebrate, we will be making a 100 Day Snack. There are 10 different ingredients and students will need 10 of each.
Please use the sign up genius link below to donate different ingredients for our snack. We will need about 220 pieces of each ingredient. If snack ingredients could be brought to school by Monday February 10th that would be so helpful!